Tuesday, May 2, 2017

How to Save a Sheep

In a few weeks, I'll be travelling to the UK, specifically, driving through the Lake District and Yorkshire and then walking from coast to coast along Hadrian's Wall. Lots of sheep in those places and many of them lambing at this time of year.

Apparently, when ewes are heavy with lamb, they are somewhat top-heavy and can topple over accidentally, then be unable to get up again. There's even a name for it: a cast sheep. It's one of the reasons shepherds regularly check their flocks.

I know it's unlikely that a traveller from Canada will encounter any cast sheep, especially since by the time I'm out and about in the countryside lambing will be mostly over, but forewarned is forearmed in my opinion, so I'll be on the lookout for a distressed ewe and ready to help if I can. 


No comments:

Post a Comment