Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Gardening Glory

I've had this plant for about 10 years and it has often looked like it would bloom, but this is the first year the blooms actually matured.
It's a Chirita, in the Gesneriad family of plants. There were 4 stalks and each stalk had 3 - 5 blooms on it. The stalks emerged one-by-one and the blooms lasted about a week, so there has been about a month of continuous bloom

I photographed it outside, but it's really a houseplant.



It's sitting beside a little poinsettia that I bought last November!






Below is a pineapple lily, Eucomis. I've had it for a couple years and have tried to grow it in a pot in the summer, but up til now it has only grown larger - no bloom. Every winter the bulb goes into the cold room and then in the spring it gets put outside. This year I put it right in the ground and lo and behold, it bloomed in late August.



Here's the view from above -

1 comment:

  1. hi jean,
    wow the sand dunes are amazing. i'm jealous. I want to go too.
    the pineapple lily is also stunning. I want one....I don't think i can manage the maintenance though.
    I'm moving through the booklist and enjoying!
    xo,
    s.

    ReplyDelete