Sunday, March 29, 2015

When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me

I've always been a huge fan of kid-lit and YA Lit. I think a good story, well-told, has a multi-generational appeal. When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead is a good example.

When I learned the other day that 10-year old Kate, one of my six awesome grand-kids, was reading tearing through this award-winning novel, I immediately headed for the library, high-fived myself for finding it on the shelf and brought it home. Although I was in the middle of reading other slightly larger novels, I set them aside to dive into this one. Pure pleasure!

Inspired by A Wrinkle in Time and other related YA novels by Madeleine L'Engle, Stead has created an exciting time travel adventure. The main character, 12-year old Miranda, does not, herself, travel in time, but she figures out a mind-bending time travel mystery through the course of this intricately-crafted novel. 

Set in 1979 NYC the book touches on themes of friendships and loyalties, family dynamics, sacrifice, mental illness, homelessness and even racism while probing a riveting mystery that requires us to stretch our brains and imaginations. 

If you loved A Wrinkle in Time, you certainly are also going to love When You Reach Me. Published in 2009, When You Reach Me is, like its inspiration, A Wrinkle in Time, a Newbery Medal winner. In fact, if you are looking for an awesome read for your youngster (and/or yourself) be sure  to visit the Newbery Medal Homepage for plenty of great suggestions for all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment