This selection of summer sandwiches looks yummy, if time-consuming to make.
Here's one of my favourite recipes which I will enjoy with a cuppa and here's to the royal couple with a wish for their long happiness:
Easy Scottish Oat Scones2/3 c butter, melted (some of the butter can be replaced with canola or sunflower oil)
1/3 c buttermilk or yogourt
3/4 c all purpose flour
3/4 c whole wheat flour
1 1/4 c rolled oats
1/4 c white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c raisins or dried cranberries or frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Combine and whisk together the butter, milk and egg.
- Combine and whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Mix all together, then stir in fruit.
- Shape dough into a ball and pat out on a parchment paper-covered baking sheet to make an 8-inch circle.
- Cut the circle into 12 wedges, but leave in place.
- Brush the top and sides of the dough with a bit of buttermilk or yogourt and sprinkle with more oats or oat bran.
- Bake at 425F for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.